Tambov was founded on April 17, 1636 as a military fortress, created to protect the southern borders of the Russian state from Tatar raids. Since that time and hundred years after, Tambov successfully fulfilled its purpose, reflecting the raids of steppe nomads.
In the middle of the 18th century, Tambov lost the importance of a military fortress and developed as a center of the agrarian district. In 1781, Empress Catherine II approved the coat of arms of the city - a beehive and three bees on an azure background, as a symbol of diligence and onboard fishing (beekeeping), which for a long time were engaged in the inhabitants of the Tambov region. 1786-1788 years were a period of rapid development of the city. The main folk school, a theological seminary opened, the theater developed, a printing house was established, the first provincial newspaper in Russia was published. All these changes were connected with the poet G.R. Derzhavin, who was the head of the Tambov vicegerency during this period
In 1812, Tambov - the center of the formation of military units and militia detachments, distinguished themselves in the battles of the World War II. In the 19th century the city continues to grow and develop. A gymnasium, a public library, the Alexandrine Institute of Noble Maidens, a teacher's institute and a women's gymnasium were opened. Through Tambov were laid the Ryazan-Ural railway, a water pipe was laid too and electric lighting began to operate. At the turn of the 19-20 centuries Tambov visits the Emperor Nicholas II.
During the First World War, 1914-1918. Tambov becomes a place of concentration of military garrisons, the main function of which was to replenish the ranks of the active army. January 18, 1918 in the city was proclaimed Soviet power. Since 1937, Tambov has become the center of the Tambov region.
In the 1920s and 1930s, Tambov developed as an industrial city: the Komsomolets, Tambov Car Repair Plant (formerly repair shops of the Ryazan-Ural Railway), the Tambov Plant RevTrud, and others entered service. In the 1940s years was an active industrial construction - the city in a short time turned into a major center of the chemical industry and chemical engineering. In the years 1919-1921 in Tambov operates the university; in 1930 the pedagogical institute was opened. In April 1958, the Tambov branch of the Moscow Institute of Chemical Engineering was opened. Since 1967, a branch of the Moscow State Institute of Culture was operated.
During the Great Patriotic War of 1941-1945 Tambov is the center of the formation of military units, the location of evacuation hospitals.
In 1950-1990 there was a rapid development of the city: industrial construction was conducted, a number of public buildings were built, including shopping complexes on the streets of Internatsionalnaya, Michurinskaya, Sovetskaya, the regional philharmonic society was built in the center of the city, also the regional universal scientific library, the Palace of Culture "Yubileiny", hotels “Tambov” and "Derzhavinskaya ", the sports palaces "Crystal" and "Antey", the administration building of the Tambov region and many others. Monuments have been erected in the memory of M. Yu. Lermontov, Zoe Kosmodemyanskaya, S.N. Sergeev-Tsensky, the Tambov warriors who fell in the Great Patriotic War, twice Hero of the Soviet Union, V.S. Petrov.
Modern Tambov is industrial and cultural regional center. Industry occupies a leading place in the economy of the city. The industrial appearance of the city of Tambov is determined by the enterprises of machine building, chemical and petrochemical, woodworking, food industry, electric power industry, production of building materials and many others.
Tambov grows up and gets stronger every year, acquiring new features. Many modern administrative buildings, beautiful apartment houses, restored and restored churches have been erected, which harmoniously blended with the architecture of the regional center. A lot of fountains were open, a number of monuments were erected.
Due to the efforts of the whole population of the city of Tambov, it becomes modern and it filled with new content.
The city has its own face and its own history. It is a guarantee of a successful future